Eight 10-foot-tall guitars, from the GuitarTown fundraiser in Austin, Texas, have gone on display on top of Carousel 3 in the baggage-claim area of Austin-Bergstrom International (AUS).
The “Big Guitars” were purchased as part of the fundraiser – a gala event to raise money for several local charities – by Austin resident Milton Verret. He bought them during an auction in October 2007 and is donating them to the city in June.
“From the moment I saw the guitars on display in Austin, I started working on a way to keep them here, in the Live Music Capital of the World,” Verret said. “Being able to provide money to those great Austin charities was step one. Step two is to put the guitars back where they belong.”
The guitars were on display throughout several Austin businesses, venues and city landmarks for more than a year. They will be at baggage claim through November, after which they will be placed throughout the airport and city hall.
All eight of the pieces at AUS were commissioned by Gibson Guitars and decorated by local artists as part of the temporary exhibit “Austin GuitarTown.” Each is made out of a uniform mold made of foam and fiber glass, stands 10 feet high and weighs 75 pounds.
The AUS guitars are:
– MUSICAPITAL by Sharon Roy Finch. Graphite, oils and sealant on fiberglass. Signed by former mayor Will Wynn.
– AUSTIN MUSIC FLOWS by Debra Prather Samples. Mixed media collage and pint on fiberglass. Signed by Lloyd Maines and Terri Hendrix.
– KEEP AUSTIN WEIRD by Sara Hickman. Bumperstickers, on fiberglass.
– LA GUITARRA by Delfin Escalante. Images of Loteriacards with hidden guitar
– PIECE OF MY HEART by Tracie Sutton. Acrylic paint. Signed by Patrice Pike.
– POR VIDA by Kathy Marcus. Mixed media on fiberglass.
– MUSICIAN by Howard Weliver. Enamel on fiberglass. Signed by Dennis Quaid.
– LIVESTRONG by David Mider. Printed vinyl. Signed by Lance Armstrong.